Postcards Of The Past

Old Postcards & Photographs

Tag: Blackpool

Blackpool Winter Gardens 1919

The Winter Gardens is situated on a 6 acre site between Church Street, Adelaide Street, Leopold Grove and Coronation Street. The building opened in 1878, originally containing a Vestibule, Pavilion Theatre and Floral Hall. The Opera House theatre was opened in 1889 and the Empress Ballroom opening in 1896.

The big wheel seen in the photograph, known as the Gigantic Wheel, was opened in 1896, it was 220 feet high and contained 30 carriages, each capable of carrying 30 people. The wheel was intended to rival the newly opened Tower, but did not prove popular and was removed in 1929.

Published by Lyric Series. The postcard was sent to ‘The Misses’ Goldman, Bristol Road, Edgbaston, Birmingham in 1919.

Blackpool Victoria Pier 1900s

Blackpool’s Victoria Pier opened in 1893 and was renamed South Pier in 1930. The Grand Pavilion on the end of the pier was destroyed in a fire in 1964 and replaced a few months later by a new theatre. The new theatre was subsequently demolished in 1998 to make way for new white knuckle rides.

Today the promenade to the south of the pier is heavily built up with amusement arcades and the Sandcastle Water Park, although the grassed area (Flagstaff Gardens) seen in the photo is still there.

Although postally unused, we can make an educated guess that this postcard was published between 1902 (when divided backs were introduced) and 1918 (when the cost of sending a card rose from ½d to 1d).

Blackpool Pleasure Beach 1929

Blackpool Pleasure Beach opened in 1896. It sits on a 42 acre site on land mostly reclaimed from the beach, at the south end of Blackpool Promenade. The photo above must have been taken after 1923 when the Big Dipper (visible in the top right) was constructed.

Posted by John (Wain) staying at 78 Rydal Mount, Lytham Road, Blackpool to Mr J Wain, Conway, 28 The Grove, Wheatley Hills, Doncaster on 20 August 1929.

Blackpool Promenade 1918

Blackpool North Parade around 1918

Published by E T W Dennis & Sons Ltd.
Sent by Minnie Walker to Mrs Best of 18 Cross Flatts Drive, Beeston, Leeds on 8 August 1918.

Blackpool Before & After The Tower

This photograph was taken around 1876 and was re-released in 1976 to celebrate the centenary of Blackpool’s  incorporation.
In the 140 years since this photo was taken, the promenade has changed considerably. The Tower was opened in 1894 and stands next to the building with the two small turrets (which at the time was the Prince Of Wales Theatre), to the centre left of this photo (as you can see in the later postcard below).

Powered by WordPress & Theme by Anders Norén