The Winter Gardens is situated on a 6 acre site between Church Street, Adelaide Street, Leopold Grove and Coronation Street. The building opened in 1878, originally containing a Vestibule, Pavilion Theatre and Floral Hall. The Opera House theatre was opened in 1889 and the Empress Ballroom opening in 1896.
The big wheel seen in the photograph, known as the Gigantic Wheel, was opened in 1896, it was 220 feet high and contained 30 carriages, each capable of carrying 30 people. The wheel was intended to rival the newly opened Tower, but did not prove popular and was removed in 1929.
Published by Lyric Series. The postcard was sent to ‘The Misses’ Goldman, Bristol Road, Edgbaston, Birmingham in 1919.